Pages

Monday, May 26, 2014

So many choices! MATH

We have been homeschooling our children for about 4 years now. Time flies! We have used an assortment of curriculums. Some I have LOVED, some have been good and some didn't work for us (but might for you). I thought I would list some choices here that might be helpful. This is, of course, not exhaustive, just what we have experienced.

I will start with Math...

{I would love to hear of your discoveries as they come!}

I have liked SM for my oldest and youngest children. Those two are more drawn to math. C-Dub started SM at level 2B and has now finished up with 6B. My middle child (Fashion Faith) has done 1B-3B and my youngest (Jumping Joy) 1A-2A so far. My oldest will move to Pre-Algebra, my middle will change math curriculum and my youngest will do 2B-3A next school year.

{Here is an example of 1A-1B textbooks, workbooks, teacher lesson plans & answers as I mention below}



What I like about it...this has been a great series of books for my son because math comes easily to him. I also like that there is a placement test and you can enter at any book. The books are organized 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A...6B. I also like that the books are small paperback books that don't overwhelm the student. The intro few books (like 1 and 2) are also full color.

I like to purchase SM from the My Father's World site because you can get the books individually and they have put together an answer key/lesson plan book for a lost cost.

What I don't like...books 6A and 6B didn't have as clear of an explanation for problem solving or learning a new concept and the previous books. The text book did not give clear examples as I came to expect in the first books 1A-5B. I would not use 6A and 6B again.

I will continue to use SM with my youngest as math also comes easy to her and she enjoys the subject. I am trying out Abeka Math next year for my middle child (I already have the 4th grade curriculum so I don't have to spend any $$ for her in the area of math this coming year). I like that Abeka is full color even at the 4th grade level. She can do the math but too many problems on a page overwhelm her and it is not a favorite subject for her.

I used this book with both of my girls. One of them in Kinder and one of them in 1st grade. It worked great for both girls even though they are very different learners. 



What I like about it...this book is very colorful and easy to navigate for a young mathematician. It is also paperback, which I prefer.

I just discovered that they have a 3-4th grade book as well. The book shown above can be purchased at My Father's World or on Amazon.

This will be new to us this coming year for my son who will start Pre-Algebra. We have lots of friends who have used different levels of Teaching Textbooks and I am at the end of my "pull the answer out of a hat" with my son. I'm sure I could figure it out but that is not a good use of my time. So we will try Teaching Textbooks. 



What I like about it...as I understand it there is a CD-rom that comes with the curriculum that teaches the lesson. With the 2.0 addition there is also a computer-correct feature. I'm LOVIN' that!

I believe Teaching Textbooks starts in 3rd grade.

What I don't like...the cost. Whew!!! It's a lot! So it better also sing and dance ;) I am hoping to use it for all the kids in my family and anyone else I know forever and ever...

I will most likely be getting this from Christian Book Distributors. My favorite website for most of my homeschool curriculum!!!

Saxon Math
We only used this curriculum briefly with my son in 1st grade. To me it is super boring and redundant. If they get the concept I like to move on not do 30 more problems of the same thing. We only used it because we were part of a charter homeschool for a short time.

Hope this helps!
More subjects to come :)


No comments:

Post a Comment