Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

So many choices! Science

I have noticed that I focus on either science or history/geography every other year. With my kids all still in elementary school and fairly close in a age doing both subjects with activities is too much for me. One of my goals with schooling my children is that we learn as much as possible together. If we learn together, even if kids are at different levels, we can all have a conversation about it. It builds family unity, which I LOVE! Even if children aren't the same grade it's fun to learn the same topics within subjects like science, history, geography, art, foreign languages, music... together!

I put off doing science at home until last year. I had heard many good things about Apologia Science for a few years and decided to jump on it last year. I am SO GLAD WE DID! It was fabulous. We all learned so much and had the best time.

I had a friend over who is getting ready to start homeschooling next year and she said something interesting when I talked about how much I have enjoyed our year with Apologia. I showed her the text book, the field journals, the lesson plan and the experiment kit we used. She said that she had talked with two other families already that also did Apologia but did not enjoy it. They did not get the field journal, the experiment kit or the lesson plans. :(

That was our experience with science and art before this past year. I was overwhelmed with all of the supplies we needed for the activity that it just didn't get done, which led to a "not as fun" experience for ALL. The documenting and hands-on is what makes information come alive so it totally makes sense that the subject would not be enjoyed to the fullest if you skip or miss those parts. Apologia puts together just about everything you will need to complete the experiments for that text! What a great idea and TOTALLY worth the money!

With that said here is what we did last year for science...

Apologia Astronomy text book


Field Journal


Junior Field Journal


Experiment Kit


Lesson Plan

I love Apologia and will definitely use it in the future! (with all the things listed above)
You can find all the subjects that Apologia covers on CBD here

I love that they cover so many areas of study within the subject of science.
I love that they have Field Journals and Junior Field Journals.
I love that they prepackage the experiment supplies, right down to prepackaged baggies for each            experiment and labeled!
I love that the books are written from a Biblical perspective!
I love that the text book is full color and not too big.
I love that they ask have an audio you can listen to.
I love that they also have a lap book you can do.

I love Apologia!

{I have not used other science curriculum so this is a limited post in the area of science.}

Other outside resources we have enjoyed are:
Magic Schoolbus books and DVDs

No comments:

Post a Comment